Coburn Place is recruiting a full-time Mentor who is forward-thinking, self-motivated, and enthusiastic to join our front desk staffing team for shifts as needed. Mentors will work within the Impact and Innovation Department to manage front desk operations while providing support services to survivors of interpersonal abuse. This position represents the core values and mission of the organization and will work with all departments to provide consistency in facility operations.
A Mentor participates in the 24-hour staffing of Coburn Place and represents the core values and mission of the organization and provides support services to Coburn Place clients, visitors, volunteers, staff and the community at-large. A mentor serves as the first point of contact for people entering the facility and is responsible to ensure a welcoming and hospitable environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
(Other duties may be assigned.)
1. Provides mentoring and support to all Coburn Place clients on a daily basis and during crisis situations while maintaining a professional, confidential and courteous relationship with them.
2. Handles and documents crisis calls utilizing appropriate community resources and referrals.
3. Becomes familiar with each resident’s safety plan and takes appropriate action when necessary.
4. Acts as the first point of contact and represents Coburn Place while receiving all callers, clients and visitors via telephone, via email or on-site in a professional and courteous manner.
5. Ensures the safety and security of all clients and visitors by monitoring the security of the grounds, facility and gate through the established procedures and maintenance of the log.
6. Communicates with the Housing and Hospitality Coordinator, Mission Impact Director, VP of Mission Impact and/or CEO regarding any security or safety concerns of the facility.
7. Maintains an accurate log of all activities and incidents during a shift.
8. Communicates pertinent information with other staff via shift logs in a professional and confidential manner.
9. Uses good judgment and decision making skills to address client needs within the parameters of Coburn Place policies and procedures.
10. Responds to all security, weather and facility emergencies, as needed.
11. Maintains confidentiality with all client information and activities.
12. Assists staff with clerical duties, projects, assignments, etc. that may need to be completed.
13. Accepts donations as they are received from outside resources.
14. Identifies opportunities for volunteer and financial resources and communicates these prospects to the Development Department and/or CEO. Actively engages program volunteers by providing adequate supervision and job-related training. Maintains knowledge and awareness of volunteer policies and procedures.
15. Promotes an open and supportive flow of communication within departments.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty according to the requirements of Coburn Place. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Organization-related Competencies – To perform this job successfully, all employees of Coburn Place should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of Coburn Place above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports Coburn Place’s goals and values; Benefits Coburn Place through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Oral/Written Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Lists and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills and participates in meetings; Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Job-related Competencies – To perform this job successfully, employees should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers
and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem-solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events. Must be able to multi-task in a fast
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Completes tasks on time or notifies the appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Determines
appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Associate’s degree (A.A.) or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school is desired. Experience working in a customer service-oriented environment preferably in a non-for-profit environment is desired.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: A valid Indiana driver’s license and a satisfactory MVR is required for this position. CPR and First Aid certification are required and training in bloodborne pathogens and universal precautions is required. A clear DCS history, and clear criminal and sex offender background checks are required. E-Verify is required.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Computer software skills required include: Microsoft Outlook and Word. Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe are desired. Ability to operate a printer, copy machine, scanner and other office equipment is desired. Incumbent must have the ability to adapt and conform to shifting priorities and demands and execute accordingly. In addition, this position requires a general understanding of office administration principles and practices, while paying close attention to detail is essential.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates in this job must have an understanding of and experience working with individuals in crisis situations. The ability to maintain proper boundaries with clients while having empathy for their domestic violence situation is critical. The ability to maintain rapport with a diverse group of clients, employees and service providers is essential. Bilingual candidates are desired.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently will stand; walk; and lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The employee occasionally will climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and taste or smell.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less), distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more), color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point), depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships), and the ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus).
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally is exposed to working near moving mechanical parts, the risk of electrical shock, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.